Sunday, April 12, 2009

New Beginnings Sunday

Nuala


A tale of the kitty trio that stole Roni McCullough-Sheppard's heart:

My neighbor runs a Feline Feral Rescue operation. When one dog and cat weren't enough she helped me find my little raccoon cat Nuala (pictured above). She loves to hang her paw in the water as she drinks and, frankly, she looks a little raccoon-ish. She was about 1 lb. and 5" when I got her - at 8 weeks. She is still very small.

Several years later I lost the dog and cat and one cat wasn't enough. My DH had no problems with another cat, so I went to my neighbor. She had a beautiful little golden girl kitten at 9 weeks old. She was rescued with her mother and brother but they had found a home for mom. So I went over to look and curled in one ball were two kittens -the little golden girl and her white and gold brother. So cute.


That night I took my husband over. They were still sleeping together. I pointed out the girl and said, 'And that is her brother.' And then I shut up. He looked a while, turned to me and said, fine, get them both.


Five years later my golden girl, Orla, is an adventurous lady. She hunts all matter of lizard, bug, rat and more.


Orla


Her brother, Desmond, has become the Warren Sapp of cats. He has grown to an almost 20lb. ball of long white and gold fluff. He is all love and sweet - until he gets in the game at which point he can bat his target around pretty good.


Desmond


Yes he is big but he gets lots of exercise and can still climb a 6' wood fence. And when he purrs? My heavens - it's like an 8-cylinder engine. And he purrs at anything.

Those are my three rescue kids. And though they shed like crazy, whine and moan for attention, I love them all and would be lost without them.




New Beginnings Sunday is a weekly series featuring the story of a rescued pet and the ways in which the life of the animal and person has changed. This series will run through the end of 2009 in conjunction with Breaking Traditions Art Quilt Exhibit’s fundraising efforts for Bernie Berlin’s animal shelter, “A Place to Bark.”

**If you have a story that you would like to share, please email it along with a picture or two of your pet to BreakingTraditions@earthlink.net

1 comment:

Robin said...

They all look so sweet when they are sleeping:) Enjoy them.
Robin