Sunday, April 19, 2009

New Beginnings Sunday


A tale of the Mini Pinscher with big heart that unexpectedly landed in Kat Campau's life:


I was a reluctant dog owner. My dog, Buddy, came to me from my son, Zach. He adopted Buddy from a Mini Pinscher rescue group. They lived happily for two years, until Zach got a third floor apartment. This was difficult to manage for sanitary purposes. So he asked me to take care of Buddy while he searched for a new home.

Its been almost six years now. Since Buddy came to live with us, my husband is more cheerful. He gets down on the floor and talks baby talk to the dog. He cuddles the dog while surfing the internet. He takes Buddy to the bank, so he can get a treat from the teller. He bathes the dog every week to stave off my allergies. He covers Buddy with a quilt, because he's a cave dog.

Buddy keeps me warm while watching TV, in our chilly family room. He hops on my lap at the same time my seat hits the cushion. He follows me into every room, and sits at the stairway crying for me to stop sewing. Buddy is blind now, and can't smell anymore. But he listens carefully to hear his treat hit the floor, and swoops in circles until he finds it. He always lets me know when a car pulls into the drive. I like having him around.





New Beginnings Sunday is a weekly series featuring the story of a rescued pet and the ways in which the life of the animal and person has changed. This series will run through the end of 2009 in conjunction with Breaking Traditions Art Quilt Exhibit’s fundraising efforts for Bernie Berlin’s animal shelter, “A Place to Bark.”

**If you have a story that you would like to share, please email it along with a picture or two of your pet to BreakingTraditions@earthlink.net

No comments: